Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Daddy's little girl...forever and after!

A little over a month back, as the entire city around us started to light up in festive spirit, one man knocked the living daylights out of us by deciding to leave this world (in the physical sense of being).This amazing man who I worship, emulate, respect and love so dearly, my father, left a void that I doubt anybody or anything can ever fill.

Growing up, like any other kid, I believed my dad was some kind of super-man who would fly in to any situation and bail me out (God knows he had to bail me out of something literally every other day).

As I got older, I started to see him more as a parent, a friend and a mentor - only to re-discover years later that this man was indeed a hero. What else can explain him surviving 14 hospitalizations, inexplicable pain and a complete change of lifestyle for 2 years. Yet, day after day, he never failed to give me his toothy grin and crooked smile and the adorable frown if I dare stepped out of the house for anything other than work!

He fought against all odds and outlived everyone's expectations. That was my dad - the man who even fought destiny for a bit.

Way back in time - when I was in school, mom and dad, amongst a
host of other parents sat by the stage cheering me - as I sang a chorus song for parent's day. It went by 'I'm everything I am because you loved me'. I looked at him straight and sang every word sincerely and with real emotion because it was so true. I was and still am everything I am because he loved me.



He raised my sister and me to believe that we could achieve whatever we willed to achieve. He often told us - I would have brought you two up no differently had you been boys.

It was always his kind and loving words that encouraged me. Go study. Go nail that job. Travel. Be that writer you always wanted to be. Be kind and never do any harm. So many wonderful words of encouragement!

He was also the coolest dad. He was ahead of his times in so many ways. He was my sounding board for everything under the sun. He was my rock and my solution to every problem I've ever had.

In the last few weeks, emails and notes have been pouring in from his friends and well-wishers. I realize everyone has the same thing to say about him. He has touched so many lives in some way or the other. I'd consider myself lucky if I managed to be a fraction of the person that he was.



Over the last few years, he often told people (as I now find out) that he considered himself very lucky to have two gems for daughters (words that keep my sister and I going). But, really, he was clueless because we were the lucky ones - lucky to have been born to him and lucky to have spent these decades with him.

While it is indeed hard to move on in life without him, I chide myself everyday to keep going. Tears are wasted on a man this amazing. I have dreams (that we have both talked about) to fulfill and lives to effect - so when I meet him again someday, he'd be proud.



I know he will continue to be my inspiration, my guiding light and occupy the largest room in my heart!


-Always Daddy's Little Girl
 

1 comment:

bilvapatra said...

One of the mysteries, if one may say so, of being a parent, is that you never know if you did right by your children....one part of you doubts and fears; another part adores and loves them, praises them and knows there can never be another kid better than yours.

The child too unconditionally and often grudgingly loves her parent...and doubts and fears creep together demanding to know 'what will you do if he is not there?' Demanding, 'how do you know he is right, she is right? Afterall he/she is just a parent...just a parent...'

But something has happened between parent and child to seal the relationship and the doubts of the mind are foolish.

One day it all comes to a rolling boil and the child has got it all...every reason for your admonishment, your scoldings, your seeming punishments...that is the day they have fully arrived, holding and wearing the parent's love so tightly around them. Unwilling to trade it for any thing else....that is the day the parent has fully embraced the child and the child fully the parent. That is the day both become one and the searching stops.
The beauty of the Lord's creation is unfathomable. But this much is true: every parent is just right for his/her child and the world and its foolish millions can go take a walk...that is why 'I am what I am because you loved me...'

Such parents whose love is undeniable, live on in their children...and the child always knows it...